Saturday, July 13, 2013

Boy oh boy it is H-O-T outside

Today is a busy day at our house...Handsome hubby out front sanding and polishing the boat to get rid of all the oxidation. While I was vacuuming inside along with doing a few loads of laundry, well my little man was helping with the laundry! We also run a few errands and I got dough ready for homemade cinnamon rolls! Oh and lets not forget about harvesting the carrots and onions from the garden. Oh wait the harvesting came after cleaning the Guinea pig cages and cutting up fresh fruits and veggies for them! Phew...

First let me tell you about these cinnamon rolls!!! WOW!!! I made dough yesterday and messed it up so it didn't rise however the cinnamon rolls were still delicious!! Of course they were I got the recipe from Ree Drummond!! If you haven't checked her out...it is a MUST!! LOVE LOVE LOVE her and she lives right here in our good 'ol state of Oklahoma!! I did much better at following directions today and the dough for tomorrows cinnamon rolls rose wonderfully!


Okay on to the harvesting from the garden...since hubby is busy with the boat little man and I set out to harvest the carrots and onions from the garden...now mind you this isn't a HUGE garden but since we are currently living in the city...it is more than most people have!

 
Thankfully my little man is a country boy in the making. He LOVES...I mean LOVES to help in the garden and I think he would love to be out on a farm. He gets a lot of his traits from his dad...sarcasm, smarts, and many others however he gets his "countryness" from his mama!



Carrots...I did one garden box and the boy did the other...he got some good size carrots out of his box, more than I got out of mine! Oh well we'll eat them all the same whether they're long, short, skinny or fat!



Our sweet puppies, well dogs, trying to stay cool because they have to be where their peeps are! Our poor sweet, Missy or Mama as we call her. She has cataracts so the sun is so bright, she has to squint to be able to be outside!



Carrots...this bowl makes them look little and like there aren't very many of them!



 After they were washed and set out on the cutting board....it looks like a lot more! Once they were sliced, I got 6 cups out of them...not bad! We put them in 1 cup packages with the vacuum seal machine, they're ready to be put in a recipe! I was glad to be back in the house washing, cutting and packaging the carrots...it is H-O-T outside! Summer has hit Oklahoma...VERY thankful that it waited until July to show up!!



 The onions...well they weren't such a huge success! Most of them were just a bit bigger than the ones we planted! We don't think that the spring cool growing season is long enough for them to get very big so we will try again in the fall! I didn't realize what a process it is once you pick them. They need to be in the sun for a week before we cut them up and freeze them...WOW!


 It was a good but busy day..my back is ready for me to sit down and watch some TV but we're not done yet...we have to wash the boat to remove all the debris, then take it back to storage and then maybe then I can sit down and chillax!!

1 comment:

Gail said...

Sounds like a great day, I love days like that, getting alot done. It ususally takes me 3 days to recover, but it is still good to have a very busy day.
Missy needs sunglasses!
M